Wednesday, September 07, 2011

Family Grouping aka Multi-Age Grouping

I only have good things to say about multi-age grouping. There are many sites discussing this issue so I'll let you do your own research if you are still unsure what to think of it.

When asking my group, which consisted of 26 Grade 3 to 7 students, what they liked most about their day, one Grade 7 student responded:

"Meeting (insert student's name) and getting to know him more".

Another Grade 3 (or 4?) girl was also very excited to say the same about two older girls sitting at her table.

I had specifically asked that students mix up and not sit next to their friends. These students who felt comfortable enough to share their feelings never had a chance to sit and hang out so today was their real first day together. Yes, some knew of each other but the majority of them had never taken the time to spend time together to learn, talk and play.

I also asked how many only had friends of the same age. No one raised their hand. They then started sharing amazing personal stories around friendship. Today I learned that a 12 year old student can be friends with a 30+ year old person.

This might sound ordinary to you but it was the highlight of my day. That's one of the many reasons why I like teaching.

No comments: